October 11, 2016

A Day in 7th Grade





A Day in 7th Grade

Today is the day!
I walk the hallway
Following the tide
What do I do; what do I say?

Keeping to the right
Pressed against the wall
Their voices of thunder
A sea of faces is a sight

Walking around the bend
I see where to go
The door up a head
The next forty minutes I will spend

Please stay in your seat
No, not that one
The one you are assigned to
The desk is not for your feet

Who threw that over there?
Voices need to be at a zero
Turn to page 129
Why oh why are you out of your chair

Glancing at the time
Deep breath in
Say a quick prayer
Are we all on page 129?

Who will read line one
I need your voices at a zero
Please stop playing the drums
I thought English was supposed to be fun

The kids are wound
They don’t want to read
The bell rings
Today that is the best sound.

Until tomorrow
I can run away
Enjoy the quiet
Until tomorrow..

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your poem! I love how your enthusiasm, as well as your apprehension, is so clear at the beginning and then you build to the moments where you begin to feel defeated. Though you have that moment of being ready to throw in the towel and hide for awhile, your enthusiasm for the next day is clear. I think it's safe to say we've all felt that way in our placements at some point. That eager anticipation, the feeling of defeat, and then the determination to do better the next day are emotions that anyone who has stepped foot into a classroom can relate to! Thank you for putting those experiences and emotions into such a creative piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal,
    I like that you have chosen a poem format to explain a time in front of the classroom. It is really interesting how you were able to convey your feelings in such a small expanse of lines. I can sense your feelings of "will I be able to do this?" Though it can be difficult to manage classrooms and to make sure everyone is on the same page, you know you can do it! I appreciate you sharing your experience thus far. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete